Monday, January 12, 2009

Daylight Robbery!

Often we come across overpriced items in malls, swanky retail chains and it gives you this "what-the-hell-how-can-something-be-priced-like-that-when-it's-not-worth-it" feeling! Well, that's what today's mall experience is all about. If you are lucky, you could get a fair deal but that's rare. And you go to a relatively smaller shop, chances are that you may get the same thing cheaper. Such is life.

Well, this experience is not just limited to malls. There are more players here...a visit to your doctor may leave you with a similar feeling. I'll tell you how.
The other day, I went to my doc for some reason and I was prescribed medication for two days...the doc's advice came with a disclaimer saying if I wasn't alright in two days' time, I would have to drop in again at her clinic. I took it with a pinch of salt hoping that such a thing wouldn't happen...but as luck (or the lack of it) would have it, I had to drop by for the second time at her clinic...things were fine until I was asked to shell out the same amount I had paid her two days back. I was shellshocked at this atrocious act...I mean as far as possible, aren't docs supposed to treat/cure their patients in one go or is it something that has to happen in dribs and drabs?? To top it all, she says, that's how the system works and if I visit her for the third time, I need to pay her the same amount AGAIN!!! I'm sorry lady if you can't do your job well, you have absolutely no right to blame it on the system...probably it's time to get your act together coz there are way too many docs out there and probably doing a much better job than you...

2 comments:

Venkatesh S said...

Accidentally came across your posting. But, I think it's not too late to comment. I know a few talented and trusted doctors who urge the patients to come for multiple visits. I asked one them, is it fair to do so? His explanation was a revelation for me. Human body has an amazing adaptability. So, if the doc starts you with powerful dosage of medicine one the two things will happen
1. You have side effects by the dosage and yes you will be cured of whatever you are taking it for.
2. You will be cured without any side effects but the next you get the same ailment, your body will expect a similar or more powerful dosage.

It's not as plain and simple as it sounds. Is it? :)

RUCHA said...

Maybe what you said is true but in my case I was never cured in the first place (after my visit to this doc in question)! Plus she showed an indifferent attitude which is not expected of a doc na :D